Many are colored in black and white. They are are, in fact, Ansel Adams' extreme black-and-white exposures of Yosemite and other Western landscapes. Twice, I've seen the current 138-piece exhibit of Adams' work at the Missoula Art Museum (http://www.missoulaartmuseum.org/index.php/ID/57d0e4036786886013093f0a535cd473/fuseaction/experience.detail.htm). My second visit includes a lovely little lecture from an art historian. And a crowd of more than 50 people turns out on an overcast afternoon to hear her say that Adams did have critics of his darkroom techniques.
![]() |
| Portrait of Ansel Adams, which first appeared in the 1950 Yosemite Field School yearbook. Photo by J. Malcolm Greany (print is in public domain, from the Wikimedia projects). |
| Art historian and crowd at MAM's Ansel Adams exhibit. |
Says our historian, simple choices of composition are in themselves ways to manipulate images, not to mention all of the "enhancing," retouching and effects-adjusting techniques that now are available in the digital-camera/computer age. I find that I am delving into "edit" on my computer to straighten images more often than not, as if I had been shooting on a rolling sea (?). And I occasionally crop and/or slightly adjust contrast or exposure. I do no color enhancing or retouching. I find that I can see those edits in others' photos from a mile away.
Just fyi, and like every amateur photographer, I also miss lots of good pictures. The girl, below, is blowing big pink bubble-gum bubbles as she looks away from Ansel Adams and down into the more-interesting (?) lobby of the museum. I shoot a dozen images BUT miss the irreverent orbs of goo.
| Girl with bubble-gum, at the Ansel Adams showing. |
The Missoula exhibit runs through April 15. There are no Montana photos here, by the way. Instead, the connection is an Ovando, Mt., couple -- he, retired as former Dell Computer chief financial officer, she, a photography buff. They own this collection of Adams photos and are sharing it with others. (A story on the couple is found at http://missoulian.com/entertainment/arts-and-theatre/article_cd6fbc04-f093-11e0-a433-001cc4c03286.html).
*****************
Beautiful photographic images aren't the only things occupying me these days. Beautiful architectural ones -- from books and documentaries as well as from local houses and other buildings -- have become a bit of an obsession.Just down the block from us in Hamilton, Mt., is a purported Frank Lloyd Wright house. Its prairie-style lines of hipped roof and board-and-batten horizontal siding speak of the Wright aesthetic. Currently, the house is unoccupied and for sale.
![]() |
| Prairie-style house on South 3rd Street, Hamilton, Mt. |
I decide to tour our neighboring prairie-style house with a favorite local real-estate expert, and we see rooms full of beamed ceilings, magnificent woodwork, fireplaces and built-ins. I snap a few pictures.
| Built-ins and dining room of our neighboring Wright-style house. |
I go to the Ravalli County Museum at the Old Court House to confirm the Wright provenance and find that the Montana Historical and Architectural Inventory named the architect of record for this 1914 structure as "Frank Lloyd Wright School." Could that mean a design by Wright's many draftsmen and women in his Chicago studio? Or, is it a reference to Wright as designer, or to his style of design?
I look further. There are abundant newspaper stories naming Wright as the architect. And the Montana Historical and Architectural Inventory calls it a "house of primary historical significance" for "being an example of a style unique to the famous American architect." The house has "excellent integrity," it continues. As the only prairie-style building in Hamilton, it is, therefore, eligible for registration on the National Register of Historic Places, says the Inventory. "Local history contends that Wright actually designed this residence," it says. "However, veracity has never been completely confirmed. Prairie-style features are seen in the floor plan and massing with overhanging roof maintaining simple horizontal lines while the plan actually has reliefs. This smooth roofline and generous overhang develop the horizontal repose of the building. Wright's buildings typically had a stronger horizontal which may indicate some interpretation on the contractor's part." Hmmmmm?
I, meantime, am as hooked on Wright as on Ansel Adams. I stream online via Netflix (I'm enjoying a lack of TV in our house) the Ken Burns/Lynn Novick documentary "Frank Lloyd Wright" (http://www.pbs.org/flw/filmmakers/index.html). I learn that he was quite a brilliant, difficult and controversial character. There's no mention of his early Montana visit in the film. I decide that I believe he was involved to some extent in our neighboring home but not the architect of record. I'd love to be proven wrong!


No comments:
Post a Comment