December 31, 2013

Almost 2014!

The lake at Lee Metcalf National Wildlife Refuge (Lee Metcalf Refuge), a few miles from our new Montana home.

They huddle in a line that follows the edge of ice.  They're mostly Canada Geese on this late-December day.  They are not my favorite birds.  In Midwestern city parks, they are messy and a nuisance. But today, at Lee Metcalf, they seem in place along with dipping and diving Common Golden-eyes,  Mallards and Ring-necked Ducks.
The Bitterroot Mountains make a magnificent border just beyond Lee Metcalf's western edge.

A Trumpeter Swan (center, upside down) also joins the ducks and geese.
And then there is the Turner-like watercolor sunset. Yowsa! As three of geese fly off into it,
I make plans to see Lee Metcalf in every season of 2014.
Happy New Year, everyone.
P.S. On a bright and shiny New Years Day, we decided to go birding along the Bitterroot River. We saw an American Dipper, White-breasted Nuthatch, Hairy Woodpecker and Mallards along the icy but free-flowing waters.
The Bitterroot.

 And while I waited for Alex to scout a certain part of the river-side trail, I took a Selfie. Yes, I know Selfies are so in that they're out now. And I got the shadow of my hand in the photo, as well.  Smooth.  It's an experiment with my new phone. What can I say? Happy 2014, I guess.
Moi, circa 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment