| Missoula is just waking up as I start walking. Windows get washed. Much coffee is consumed (I myself sit for a few minutes with a latte and scone, at Le Petit Outre bakery.) Folks everywhere seem to be slowly shaking off a night's sleep and getting out into this day. Many stores don't even open until 11 or noon. |
![]() |
| But bright, beautiful vintage-looking new fabric is out on display as I trek past a favorite haunt, Selvedge Studio. (Today, May 16, is part of their annual sidewalk sale -- 30% off of everything, in case you're interested!) |
| And "surf" is up in the Clark Fork River that runs under a long bridge into downtown. Who knew? |
![]() |
| I take a quick, angled photo of the beautiful and historic Wilma theater, trying to make it look hip. It doesn't need my help for that! I walk onward to the St. Patrick's Hospital doctor's office building, where I have an annual checkup with my internist. I walk back the same route to Kent Bros. It's almost three hours later and car's still parked in the same place. Grr. |
![]() | |
| Oh well. Many folks have Subarus hereabouts. I'm not in a rush. I tell them that I'm walking to Caffe Dolce for lunch and will check in later. |
![]() |
| And I do get to Dolce at a primo time. The lunch crowd at this popular place is thinning. I grab a table, place an order for a salad with grilled, wild-caught Alaska salmon, people watch and hook into their excellent WiFi. |
![]() |
| Ambling back to Kent Bros. on Higgins -- the so-called Hip Strip -- I drop into Habitat Floral Studio for a look at garden accessories. |
![]() |
| I'm in love with concrete containers right now and almost buy some, but Kent Bros. calls and my car is ready. Hooray. I'll get back to Habitat someday soon. I get the car; it's a bargain. They checked everything out, and I don't need a tune-up for another 10,000 miles, just the oil change, wiper blades and a quick going over. I drive off to the eye doctor for a ten-minute exam. Then on to the Good Food Store, a 40-year-old establishment that started as a small, crunchy-granola emporium and now is all grown up and wonderful. By this time, I'm tired and ready to drive the 40 miles south to home in Hamilton. At least, on this stellar day, I get a big dose of exercise and manage to avoid the congested highway that leads to Costco and Target. All in all, a great trip to the Garden City. (Except that I missed driving to another favorite spot -- Garden City Garden Supply; twist my arm and I'll drive back to Missoula very soon.) |
Oh, I missed telling about one final wonderful thing that I just read about this town. Here's what happens some spring and summer nights when college kids and others dance the night away on the streets of Missoula.






No comments:
Post a Comment